Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Wild Things are HERE!



The children's picture book "Where The Wild Things Are," written by Maurice Sendak in 1963, has been made into a full-length feature film by director Spike Jonze that's to be released October 16th.

I can't even begin to explain how excited my 3 year old is. He has yet to sit through and entire movie at the theaters so I'm hoping this will be a first. My husband used to read this to Tyson repeatedly until Tyson could read the book on his own from memory. Scary enough both my husband and I remember sitting at story time in grade school, some 20ish years ago, and being read this book as well.


The story is about a boy named Max who leaves home after having a temper tantrum with his mother. Misunderstood, angry, and, rebellious, Max's imagination takes him to the land of the Wild Things, where he is free to do as he pleases. By the end of the book Max begins to realize that a life without rules and without his family might not be as wondeful as it seems and decides to leave the land of the Wild Things.

I myself am anxious to see how the brought the monsters in the book to life. Watching the movie trailer, I'm amazed at how perfectly they fit with the illustrations of the book. I have high hopes that this movie will live up to Tyson's imaginations of this book, as well as mine own.

0 comments: